Wednesday, January 21, 2015

DIY Swing and an Armoured Armadillo by Sam

Yesterday, I decided to build a swing. Next week, our friends Maddy and Jiri are arriving AND Mom wanted me to go outside and do something, so I decided to combine these two things and build the swing. I got the idea out of a Howtoons book (a really cool graphic novel/diy book that shows you how to do really awesome projects) that I got from Grampy Wayne for Christmas.

I put on my rubber boots (because I didn't want to step on a gecko or scorpion or anything in the field) and went out to find a suitable spot to put it.  I wanted to build it off the Guanacaste tree, but then I would need about a 100 ft rope because the nearest branch is about 40 ft off the ground. Finally, I decided on a tree that was not too high or too low. Several attempts were made to throw the rope over the branch. Then, I secured it around the trunk for extra support (using a killick hitch.) Then I used a clove hitch to tie the loose end of the rope around a sturdy stick that I could use for a swing.

Here's the thing. I kind of don't like some parts of the books that show you how to do these diy projects as it all goes so smoothly every time. For instance, for the rope swing, in the book they have a perfect straight up oak-tree with a perfect branch jutting straight out with no leaves or other sticking out bits in the way. They make perfect knots and find the one perfect stick lying around for the swing and then swing effortlessly through the air. My experience was more frustrating and needed several tries with lots of obstacles. My rope was too short. I kept getting it tangled in the leaves. The knot slipped a few times until I got it right. I looked forever to find a great stick and then couldn't grip on to it properly! I think Maddy and Jiri will like it though. Probably we can build it together again better.
Later, when Maeve had dance class, Dad and I explored around the area (she's in a new studio in Pelada). We took several cool trails. Once we were around the first bend, we heard a rustling in the bushes. We looked over to expect an iguana or something. Instead, we saw an armadillo! It was just nosing along the leaves looking for insects. When it eventually noticed us, it froze for a second and then scampered away. We were able to observe it for 5-10 minutes. We also saw a great owl moth. Again, we only had Dad's camera. I have to start carrying my camera around with me again.

3 comments:

  1. The swing is awesome! Sounds like you'll be reaching me knots! ~Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am waiting patiently for an update, Sam. I bet you were having too much fun with friends and observing armadillos to concern yourselves with your virtual fan base. Every time either (any) of you write, it' s a lovely insight into your lives and we do some learning about Costa Rica too. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danno, do you remember the armadillos in the campground where we had our motor home when we visited Disney World in 1978? That's the first and last time I've seen one. I'll have to come back to CR. Love Mom xxoooo

    ReplyDelete