Monday, October 13, 2014

Did You Know... (by Sam)

... these things about Costa Rica?

  • A town cannot legally qualify as a political district without a futbol (soccer) field! 
  • When Costa Rica reached the quarterfinals of the World Cup in 1990, the president declared a national holiday. They really love futbol here. It's fun to play it on the beach too!
  • Costa Rica has no army.  It was canceled almost 66 years ago I like that there are no people standing or driving around with huge guns in the city or countryside (like there were at the bookstore in Denver and all through many places in Central America.) The money that used to be spent on military now goes to education, culture, and health.
  • Costa Rica is the happiest country on earth according to the New Economics Foundation which measures how people are doing and feeling and their ecological footprint.
  • Costa Rica is home to 10% of the world's species, even though the land takes up only .03% of the earth.
  • There are two islands shaped like turtles at the southeast tip of the Nicoya Peninsula. I'd love to see them. I think it's really cool and appropriate with how many turtles nest here.
  • Costa Ricans have protected and preserved about 25% or 1/4 of their land in national parks or biological reserves.
  • Costa Ricans call themselves "Ticos" (males) or "Ticas" (females.)
  • Costa Ricans generally don't hug anyone who is not family or a very, very close friend. This suits me.
  • There are no addresses in Costa Rica. Really, none. Instead you find stores, restaurants, other people's houses etc. by saying things like, "Go 100 metres up the first dirt road past the soccer field, turn right and it's the second blue house on the left."
  • Costa Rica has 2-40 earthquakes per month and has 121 volcanoes (7 are active)!
A Howler staring down at me this afternoon. I like how I sort of framed him with the leaves.
Also, I am taking a photography course and learning new things about composition and perspective. I definitely still prefer to take photos of wildlife! I'm posting some of them on National Geographic's My Shot which is fun because people give feedback on your photos and you can comment on other kids ones. Tomorrow, I might get some good shots of the tide pools. I'm going to wear the snorkel and see what it's like from under the water.  

No comments:

Post a Comment