Thursday, October 2, 2014

Swimming in the Ocean (or, more like jumping in the ocean) by Maeve

I like being at this house because every evening when Daddy is done work we drink a smoothie and then go to the beach for a few hours before dinner. There are REALLY big waves.

There are 3 beaches near our house. One is a surfing beach. It's called Playa Guionnes and it's the closest to us. We went to watch the surfers a bit before we went to dinner on our first night here. The surfers are really fun to watch especially when they get up on the boards and start to surf on the wall of the HUMONGO waves and then fall into the wave when they don't see another wave coming on top. I think I might try to surf and it looks really fun except I won't want to go out as far as the surfers. I think it looks pretty hard and you will have to concentrate a lot and be very strong and not worry about drinking some of the ocean. But I'll try.

My favourite beach so far is Playa (that means beach in Spanish) Pelada. It also has Super Big Waves and is supposed to be the swimming beach because it doesn't have strong rip tides. Daddy, Sam, and I went out deep and pretty far (but just up to my waist) and I couldn't get over the waves by myself at first and I had to hold Daddy's hand and he would pull me up and I would jump over the same time and I would lift over the wave. It was really fun and really salty. Also, at a different part of the same beach there is a rocky cove where there are huge crabs as big as my face. There are tide pools with fish and crabs and amazing shells. Also, when we were swimming, not a jellyfish in sight! You do have to be really careful about sharp rocks in some areas but some parts are smooth sand. Tomorrow morning, we're going to spend hours there, exploring all of it. I'm really excited.

The other main beach in the area is Ostional. That is a protected beach because that's where the Olive Ridley Sea turtles nest and lay their eggs. We are go this afternoon to investigate and see about volunteering with the scientists and park rangers there. Awesome!

11 comments:

  1. Every new post I have a new favourite picture. Currently it is Dan in the ocean with Sam and Maeve on either side. So many memories already. L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are adjusting to the new norm just fine. You are the best looking beach bums ever. Love Grandma xxoooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds great, Maeve! I hope you get up the bravery to go surfing at some point this year. I don't know if I am brave enough or have enough strength in the right muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing Maeve! - get dad to build an outrigger canoe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw an outrigger canoe on the beach at Samara yesterday! Have you ever been on one? I think I would fall in the water.

      Delete
  5. www.crsurf.com for you Surf Report Maeve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! We are definitely not ready yet but getting confident enough to try a body board. An extra hand to plug my nose from the salt water would be awesome.

      Delete
  6. Sounds amazing!! I love the beach and I am so glad you are enjoying playing in the waves - that would be my favourite part. You have such great balance and with some practice I am sure you will be a fantastic surfer, Maeve!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Maeve! (patti here, on Rich's computer)

    I am so happy you are having fun in the water. Salt water up the nose sure is a shock when you get tumbled by the waves, isn't it? We used to play a game in the waves called "Over, Under, Through! (You have to say that in a Grover voice). When you are out in the waves, you hold hands with someone, then one person calls whether you will jump up to go over the wave, dive under to avoid it, or stand firm and smash through the wave. I love that game. Can we play when I come?

    I loved body boarding (great way to keep your head out of the salt) and you get to ride the waves way further. And I hope we can take surfing lessons together!

    PS, I am coming with my own hammock, and I am planning on buying a body board my FIRST DAY. I WILL NOT WAIT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The game sounds AWESOME!!! Definitely I will play it when you come. Yesterday, Sam and I bought a bodyboard with our allowance (it has fish and dolphins on it.) We will try it today I hope even though there are supposed to be more thunderstorms. If you are with me then maybe I would do surfing lessons. Love, Maeve

      Delete