Wednesday, October 1, 2014

First Impressions of our House by Sam

This is my favourite photo I've taken so far! A white-throated magpie jay staring at me.
At our new home, there are awesome and strange features, amazing creatures (like hermit crabs the size of a baseball), and crashing waves to be heard all the time. In the next few paragraphs, I will tell you all about these.

There are lots of amazing features at our new home, including a tower with awesome views of the ocean and sunset, the green hills and the jungle all around us. There are huge sliding doors and windows, to provide views of the animals and ocean, and breezes can blow in to keep everything cool.  The house is pretty open concept, with a big open area with a sliding panel instead of a front door.  There's also a small pool, in which you can relax and splash around (actually it's more like a giant bathtub outside, just regular water.) 

Whip scorpion on a mattress in our tool shed.
At our new home, I noticed a few features that need to be fixed.  One of them is the hole of terror. When you are going up the stairs, if you slip and fall, you will plummet into the hole, at which point you will have a collision with the staircase below.  Second, some of the tower's windows are at floor level and are hinged at the top, opening outward. This may not sound nearly as scary, but if you trip and fall, you go flying out the window and onto the garage roof.  Last, the windows in my room need to stay closed, because they are really big and there is nothing to prevent you from falling out! Some of the drawers and doors don't close properly. In case you are starting to be very worried, don't! We have made a list and Dad is very good at making things fixed and safe.


I haven't got a great shot yet, but this is a howler. They sound like monsters!!
There are lots of amazing animals around the house, but some of the most awesome are:
  • A troop of howler monkeys swinging in the trees, one carrying a baby on her back
  • Geckos on the ceiling and walls
  • Gigantic 6 inch red grasshoppers on the windows
  • A 9-banded armadillo in the backyard
  • A whip scorpion in the shed, which actually looked more like a spider
  • A flock of white-throated magpie jays, perched on the deck watching us eat breakfast
  • A parakeet nesting in a palm tree and parrots
  • A couple of black vultures, circling over the treetops
  • Bats darting through the evening air
We need a plant field guide to name all the ones around our house. This one I know is a bird of paradise.
I look forward to exploring the surrounding forest and discovering new trees, plants, and animals.  We plan to cut a path down the hill to the ocean, but I'm a little bit scared of what might be living there! But I'm glad to be in Nosara.

13 comments:

  1. It must be strange to wake up in the morning in the same place. I enjoyed the exhilaration and excitement of your travels across the continent. Hey, you could just keep going. On the other hand, it sounds like you have a fun house and lots to find out about right where you are. Sam and Maeve, your postcards are a real treat. Your hand written notes are so well done. Tell me, have you considered learning the cursive style which is more like running rather than a fast walk? Love Grandma xxoooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma, it's funny that you mention cursive writing because I was just working on some the other night before dinner! So far I'm not running very fast with it but I like how it feels and looks. Also, I like the idea of keeping going but I'm really happy to be here for awhile. Love, Maeve

      Delete
    2. Maeve, Sophie has been working on her cursive for a few months now and really likes how quick she is getting. She has a white board and dry erase pen ( or "ardoise" here in France) to practice with. She also had a fountain pen but hasn't started using it yet. Let us know your mailing address and perhaps she will send you a postcard in cursive!

      Delete
    3. Yes! I would like to do a cursive postcard exchange with Sophie! We don't have a mailbox yet but I will tell you the address when we do. I don't have a fountain pen but I have a purple pen with an eraser.

      Delete
  2. Great read Sam! - funny how one always imagines that the culture will be what takes up most of our attention on trips to new lands - in this case it seems that the flora and the fauna will keep you busy for a very good while! You will need to make some new friends quickly who can teach you about all these new things - then you will have to teach your parents so that they survive this expedition Haha! Howler monkeys eeek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, thanks for reading and replying! I am always noticing the animals more than the people. Mom is the opposite. We are starting to make new friends - even with the animals! Don't worry about the howlers because they sound more scary than they are. They actually seem kind of shy. fSay hi to Daniella for me! Love, Sam

      Delete
    2. Does you dad have anything to record the howlers, Sam? I would love to hear some!

      Delete
    3. Maeve and I went on a walk this morning with the recorder but we only got birds. I think it's better to go early. We'll try again and I will post it here when we get a good recording. They really do sound like storybook monsters.

      Delete
  3. Sam, that whip scorpion looks terrifying... but it is very cool that you got a close up picture. I also can't wait to hear what the howlers sound like! Are they friendly or not so much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The howlers are very friendly and we have a recording of one! We'll post it later. The whip scorpion, by the way, is BIG. Its body is the size of Mom's fist and the legs are really long. It's not venomous though so don't worry.

      Delete
  4. Sam, do you have cuyeos? They are birds in the night jar family, and they have a shrill call at night. To us it sounded like they were yelling "for REAL! for REAL!", but to Spanish people I guess it sounds more like cuyeo! They also have another name that starts with a P, but I forget. The Cuyeo is Zay Zay's personal whistle sound in our family. I'm with you--I definitely notice the animals more than the people. The second thing I notice is geography--rocks, soils and erosion. Third for me is language. I like patterns.

    PS, can you guess? Patti again on Rich's computer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I have not heard any cuyeos (how do you pronounce that?) but I have seen lots of magpies and parakeets. There are lots of birds we can hear but haven't identified them yet. Maybe we haven't heard the cuyeos because the howlers are so loud. We've noticed lots of cool patterns on seasnail shells and also the marks they make in the sand. Mom wants me to do a MathArt course, about patterns in nature and I'm thinking about it although there is more of a chance that I'll do the marine biology one instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, is this the bird? http://osaconservation.org/2010/08/featured-bird-common-pauraque/

      If it is, then we have seen them on our way to Ostional in the early mornings but I haven't heard their calls.

      Delete