Saturday, September 6, 2014

How to Be a Junior Ranger

Sam here.

A friend of ours asked how do you become a junior ranger so I thought I would tell you more about the program. The purpose of being a Junior Ranger is to explore, learning about, and protect the US National Parks. It’s so cool. You can become a ranger at each park you visit. There are usually 3 Steps to it. First you complete some activities in a booklet. These are like word searches, story writing, sketches, matching things – all to help you get to know the park more and the species in it. Next, you have to attend a ranger program(a hike or picking up litter etc)  or watch a park film in the visitor centre. Last of all, you show your booklet and activities to a park ranger and he or she checks your work and talks with you. Then you take the pledge to protect the parks, get a badge and a certificate! 

One of the career possibilities I’m thinking about is to be a park ranger and photographer together. Maybe this will be good practice for the actual thing! As of today, I’m a Junior Ranger of the Badlands National Park (Maeve too.)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sam -- Patti and I have been to that park (I seem to remember an interpretive plaque informing us that birds frequented the area because of "the sweet, sweet taste of gin" (of which a key ingredient is juniper berries. But I would have to assume the birds didn't know that). We also went to nearby Wind Caves Park and had an "oh my gosh I can't believe he's so close!" moment with a bull bison that was so lovely, right up until we realized "oh my gosh I can't believe he's so close".

    Glad you guys are having fun already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first certificate! Sam, you would make an excellent park ranger! Remember to protect your picnic basic from the bears (like Yogi Bear?)!! :)

    ReplyDelete